Since FCA's inception, more than 6,800 grants awarded to artists and arts organizations—totaling over $24 million—have provided opportunities for creative exploration and development.
FCA supports individual artists and collectives working in dance, music/sound, performance art/theater, poetry, and the visual arts through four core grant programs: Grants to Artists, The John Cage Award, Emergency Grants, and The Ellsworth Kelly Award.
In 2021, Foundation for Contemporary Arts distributed over $4.1 million in grants to individual artists, including:
- $2,584,500 through the FCA COVID-19 Bridge Fund—1,723 relief grants of $1,500 each
- $274,000 through the FCA Emergency Grants Covid-19 Fund—137 relief grants of $2,000 each
- $800,000 through Grants to Artists—twenty grants of $40,000 each, including six awards named for artists long associated with FCA, and the biennial Merce Cunningham Award
- $350,000 through Emergency Grants—197 grants of varying amounts, for urgent project needs
- The $40,000 Ellsworth Kelly Award
- $22,000—grants of $2,000 each to eleven artist-founded or -led mutual aid funds
- $30,000 in Contemporary Visual Arts Scholarships
"I was able to actually pay myself a salary for making a dance for the first time. Basically, this grant saved my ass."
— Pam Tanowitz, choreographer
2010 Grants to Artists | Dance